Hong Kong style egg waffle is called in Cantonese 雞蛋仔 (literally means little eggs) because of its golden colored honeycomb shape. It is one of the most popular street foods in Canton.
Hong Kong style egg waffle gives out a rich aroma of cake flavor. It gives one an extraordinary experience when biting on it as it has a distinct texture of having a crispy shell with inner softness.
The Hong Kong style egg waffle was originated in the 1950s. In an effort of making use of some cracked eggs, an Asian grocery shop’s owner made an attempt of developing this egg batter. Sugar, flour and evaporated milk were added to an egg batter and was poured into a honey-comb metal plate to cook into waffle. Traditionally, the Hong Kong egg waffles are made over charcoal flames. However, most people nowadays use electric stove tops due to cost efficiency and safety reasons. (Information gathered from https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh/雞蛋仔).
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 eggs (separate egg yolks and egg whites; egg whites beaten to stiff peaks)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup better, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons floure
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for greasing the waffle maker
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, vanilla, butter and sugar until combined; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until batter is smooth and well blended. Add one-third of the beaten egg whites to the batter and stir until lightened. Gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Pre-heat Bubble Waffle Maker until ready light go on. Lightly brush each side of the pan with vegetable oil and pour batter into the center until 70% full.
- Close the lid and flip immediately with cool touch handle. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the waffle is golden brown on the other side.
- Open the lid, invert the waffle onto serving plate, allow cooling for 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top with your favorite toppings, or roll into a cone and fill with berries, or cut into pieces to enjoy with syrup.